I’m really feeling for all those new parents with a brand new baby but no-one available to take those beautiful tiny-baby shots. I want to help!
Here are a few guidelines so you can take some of your own, with just a mobile phone available.
I’d love to see your shots so please do share them with me – and if you do want a professional baby shoot when it’s totally safe to do so, then I’m here for you! I have used my newborn studio set-up for many babies that are much older than the ideal 10-14 day window and they still look super cute. My wooden trench bowl and tiny hats may no longer fit but I can still create some amazing shots for you to treasure.
In the meantime I hope the following helps:
- Good Light:
Choose a nice warm and well lit room, but make sure that the area where you are photographing your baby is not in direct sunlight, so as to avoid unflattering lighting and shadows.
- Keep the background uncluttered:
Hang or place a plain coloured blanket behind the area where you want to photograph your baby, and for your baby to lie on. I find creams and neutral colours the best for newborns.
Bare skin is best so that your photo is timeless. Alternatively dress them in very plain, neutral clothing. If you are stripping their nappy off too – pop a muslin or small towel underneath the blanket where they are lying to make clearing up easier afterwards as 9 times out of 10 they will wee when exposed to the open air! If you have a blanket partially covering your baby it’s not necessary to remove the nappy, just make sure that the blanket is positioned so as to hide it.
- Phone Settings:
iPhone focusing function (I’m sure other phones will have a similar tool). Click on the part of the image that is the most important (e.g. the eye nearest to you) – a yellow box will appear in that area. This will ensure that you have the correct area in focus.
You can then slide the sunshine icon to the right of the yellow square up or down to increase or decrease the brightness of the photo.
All phones have basic editing functions so you can fine tune your image. However, I would personally recommend familiarising yourself with the app Snapseed which is very similar to professional editing programmes but simplified for mobile phone use.
Lastly – choose a time to take your photos when your baby is happy and content, or fast asleep. The bonus of taking your own photos is that you can just wait for a time when they are at their best temperament.
Don’t forget to zoom in on details like tiny hands and feet. Take your partner’s hands with theirs to show the difference in scale.
Please forward this to anyone that has had a baby during lockdown.
During the COVID-19 lock-down I participated in a challenge to take a photo with a given topic every day during April.
These were posted to my Facebook page (White Dandelion Photographic).
I am currently carrying out a 21 day May challenge too – these can also be seen on my Facebook page.
A selection of my favourites are shown below:
- Up to 20 members of staff
- Two headshots of each person – showing a professional, and an informal expression.
- Multi-use group shot: Combining individual full length photographs to create one group image that can be updated with new staff members. Your company logo will be included on the image.
- High resolution professional photographs provided on a disc.
Initial cost of set up – £280
Updates of the group photo and new staff photographs – £25 per hour (minimum 3 hours)
White Dandelion Photographic – Outdoor Family Spring Photoshoots – now available to book.
90 minute outdoor session in a woodland location, or location of your choice.
All images supplied on disc (or one of my wooden personalised USB sticks for an additional £10)
Large selection of beautiful hand-edited images – both colour and black and white.
Session Dates Available:
- Saturday 7th March – morning and afternoon
- Sunday 8th March – morning and afternoon
- Saturday 14th March – morning and afternoon
- Sunday 15th March – morning and afternoon
- Saturday 2nd May – morning and afternoon
- Sunday 3rd May – morning and afternoon
- Friday 8th May – morning and afternoon
- Saturday 9th May – morning and afternoon
- Sunday 10th May – morning and afternoon
I’m so thrilled to have bookings for the following three venues for 2020:
- Harlaxton Manor, Grantham, Lincolnshire
- The Petwood Hotel – Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire
- Forever Green – Woodland Restaurant – Mansfield
2020 Wedding Package:
– Full day coverage – including bridal preparations up to and including the first dance
– Hundreds of beautifully hand-edited photographs, both in colour and black and white
– All images on a wooden USB stick inside a wooden presentation box
– Pre wedding consultation and pre wedding mini shoot at your venue (if required)
– Online gallery for your guests to view the photographs afterwards
– Optional extra to purchasing a wedding album from a range of luxury choices
9 years experience as a professional photographer
100% 5 star reviews